Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Joseph and Emma's first son's grave

The Monument for the Susquehanna in honor of the Restoration of the Priesthood

Rain Rain GO AWAY!

little wet.... Harmony Pennsylvania

Susquehanna River

This is where Joseph Smith obtained some of his schooling, met and courted Emma Hale Smith. Together they suffered the death of their first child, Alvin who lived but a few hours. Here much of the Book of Mormon was translated and 15 sections of the Doctrine and Covenants were received. But, what the river is known for is what happened on the banks where I was able to stand. The Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthoods were restored to this earth. As we got off the bus 125 youth gathered in a circle around the monument near the cemetery. Brother E spoke to us for a moment on what happened here and then we walked over to the cemetery where Emma's parents and son were buried. As we walked over to the graves it began to sprinkle but it was so humid that it wasn't really noticeable. Within two minutes it was pooring rain. By the time I had run back to the bus it looked like I had jumped into a pool. I had a dress on taht was completely stuck to me. We still had to drive down behind the fence so we could walk to the river, to have our meeting. The rain was still coming down heavy. We got to where we could walk about a fourth of a mile to the river. Brother Pelo said give it ten minutes. We all said we didn't care we were already wet. Little did we know Brother and Sister Pelo stood under one of the tree's at the cemetery and he commanded in prayer with the power of the Preisthood for the rain to cease so that we would be able to continue our meeting at the Susquehanna River banks. I can't tell you how quickly the clouds parted. By the time we were off the bus again it was no longer raining. We walked through several puddles and our shoes were covered in mud, but we were able to stand on the banks of that river together an dahve a meeting in honor of the restoration of the Priesthood.

The morning I woke up to leave on Heritage Tours I was so nervous. I didn't want o leave everything that was going on, plus I am a wimp and three weeks felt like a long time to be away. I had everything in the car and my mom told me to go ask my dad for a blessing. He stopped what he was doing and came inside to give me a blessing. It was simple but profound and exactly what I needed to hear. I could feel the power of the Priesthood run through me as my dad placed his hands on my head. I felt the peace I needed to start my trip. Elder Costa of the Seventy said, " When we receive the Priesthood, we make an eternal covenant to serve others. As Priesthood holders, we can be a powerful influence in the lives of others. President Monson also reminded us, "How fortunate and blessed we are to be holders of the Priesthood of God. Always remember that people are looking to you for leadership and you are influencing the lives of individuals either for good or for bad, which influence will be felt for generations to come." Our example will always speak loudly as members of the church and I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to visit this sacred ground. I felt the power of the Priesthood so strong there and will never forget that experience. We sang together and several of the kids shared their testimonies. I am so grateful for the testimonies born there and for the restoration of the Priesthood, we are so lucky as latter day saints to have this amazing power in our lives. I am so grateful for a Dad and brothers who honor their Priesthood. I know of it's power and have witnessed several miracles because the it's power.




No comments:

Post a Comment